Thursday, October 16, 2008

hoje

I have too much I can do. Today I don't have school, but I could go to Rotary, capoeira, bible study with Marcus, and a show tonight with Larah. I can only do one... the show or the others. I also need to go to a bank. Friday I have pretty much free, but Saturday I have to be at the airport by 3 at the latest, then by 11 I'll be in Belo (after a stop over in Rio).

Pica Pau (Woody the Woodpecker), Tom and Jerry in Portuguese, the debates in Portuguese and Brazilian soaps (which seem to just be makeout sessions on beaches and couches for the most part). I also watched Ocean's Eleven (Onze Homems e Um segredo - 11 men and a secret, translated...why it couldn't just be 'o onze do Ocean' is beyond me), Johnny e June, and the Pursuit of Happyness are the only movies I've watched so far. So there's the media update.

Rotary update: Last weekend was the Rotary club Interact Forum meeting, which started out pretty tedious (sitting around sweaty in plastic chairs wondering what the hell was going on) but then we had the festa brega, it's a party (obviously), and 'brega' is a brazilian word for things that are not often used, kind of retro, except not cool... kind of an obnoxious dress party. I know, but it was cooler than it sounds. it was pretty sweet (pics soon... it should be noted that Brazilians love to gather for giant group pictures so there's tons of those now). they are all on orkut though (orkut is basically a Brazilian facebook), so I'll see about getting 'em up here. We have two boys from Canadá (Macall and Greg), several Americans (Zoe, Sherise, Kelsey, me, Cambria, Kyle, Alexember), lots of Germans (Sandra, Kevin, Sven, Michael, Leonie, Anna, Marieke), some danes (Sofi and Mathilde), one Taiwanese girl (Ivy) and one Bermudan (Capri).
we had another American, but she got sent home.

Also I'm changing host families on the 29th (Sandra will be moving to the Rochas). As such, soon my address will be invalid.. I'm sure Paulo will forward mail to my next family though, so no worries.

Happy birthday again Sky!

I will put more pictures up when I get back on the other computer.

Clacilda Souza Moura Andrade - Praia da Armação 40 QA10 - Res. 3379-7805 / 3379-0824 Tel. Com.3249-9284 / 3249-3507
that's my new host family
:)

oh and dad if you read this, yesterday was "Dia dos Professores" (Teacher's Day).. tô com saudades de você, pai...

escutei na música se chama 'pai e filha' de novo (Father and Daughter, from Wild Thornberrys). it made me want to cry. :( miss you (you too mom and evan and jade)

and I just figured out where Marcelo put all the music he gave me. about 500 songs, all of them in Portuguese. gonna have fun going through that lot...

"tchau, I have to go now" (those are the lyrics of a song here, and for some people their english is limited to that and 'the book is on the table' <-- hahahaha)

-- m

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

'Tis me again :D

Spending a lot of time watching random shows, eh? XD Things have to be quite hilarious in Portugeuse...

I'm singing at the UU church now, its kinda tiring rehearsing for four hours every Wednesday, but everyone at the choir is amazing, and they needed a tenor badly it seems XD

By the way, so you know, Orkut is run here in the US by Google, but the thing never caught up very well to the all powerful MySpace and Facebook, andabout 53% of the users are from Brazil, lulz. I <3 Wikipedia.

Um... Anyway, I miss the hell out of you, you silly-head, don't be gone forever now ^_^

Suzi Steffen said...

Madisyn! Is it OK to put the blog's address at the end of your story for Winter Getaways (which pubs NEXT thursday, the 23rd)? Let me know on F'book or Gmail if OK. Thanks much! - Suzi

Sarah said...

Madisyn!
I'm glad to hear you're enjoying Brazil! I've been catching up on what you've been up to. I forget to check, and then do every once in a while. Anyways, just wanted to say hi.
<3 - Ladybug

Anonymous said...

Madisyn;

Como vai?
Lembra de mim?
Acabei de ler o seu artigo no Eugene Weekly.
Aproveite bem o Brasil.
Até mais.
Bené - LCC