Saturday, March 21, 2009

portuguese

so here is my new list of favorite Portuguese wordage (not necessarily my favorite meanings, these are just the words I enjoy saying the most): (complete with translations and pronounciations)
ciúmes - jealousy (pron. see-OO-mees)
valeu - slang for 'thank you' (obrigado), literally the past tense of the verb 'valer' (to value, to be worth it): 'it was valued' in the literal sense (pron. vawl-EH-oo)
merece - he/she/it/you (informal) (ele/ela/você) form of 'merecer' (to deserve) (pron. mair-ES-ee)
relaxe - ele/ela/você form of 'relaxar' (to relax) (pron. hey-LASCH-ee)
beijão - literally, 'big kiss' (used at the end of messages... usually people just write 'bjs' - short for 'beijos). I love this word because it has the 'ij' thing in it along with the unique Portuguese 'ão' sound. (pron. bay-jão)
cascável - rattlesnake, literally 'peelable' ('casca' is the outside layer of something, like a banana peel or a orange rind..and 'ável' is the Portuguese 'able' - like in 'understandable') (pron. cas-CA-vel)
simbora - a slang term that mixes the words 'sim' and 'embora' ('yes' and roughly 'let's go'). it's existence is due mostly to the song 'Beber, Cair e Levantar' (Drink, Fall Down and Get back Up) the lyrics of which go 'vamos embora, pra um bar, beber, cair e levantar' (let's go to the bar, to drink, fall down and get back up), but the words 'vamos embora' sometimes get slurred together and make 'simbora'. Brazilians say just 'bora' sometimes like a slangy 'come on, let's go'. (pron. seem-bore-a)
além - other than, out of which, outside, beyond (além disso = other than that, vai além = go beyond, além can be used to refer to something previously unreachable) (pron. all-aim)
cachaça - intense famous Brazilian alcohol, there is a song here that literally sings just 'CACHAÇA'

O amor me pegou puro e verdadeiro Love got me, pure and true
Pra durar, vai durar, pra lá de fevereiro To last, it will last, until February (Carnaval)
Para quando chegar a festa junina For when I arrive at the party
Você vai se lembrar da gente na Ondina You will remember the people of Ondina
CACHAÇA CACHAÇA

(pron. ka-sha-sah)

parabenizar - to congratulate (parabéns = congratulations) (pron. pahr-uh-ben-ee-zar)
cujo - whose (like '...Mary, whose puppies were for sale' = '...Mary, cujos filhotes eram sendo vendidos') I like it because it looks like and sounds like 'Cujo' the name of that Stephen King novel (pron. coo-joe)
maçã - apple, I love this word because it has my two favorite accents in it. also did I mention I love words that end with 'ã' because of the funky pronunciation it makes? I can't recreate it in english... (pron. mahs-ah) for example...
mã/itapuã/fã/clã - magnet/name of a beach in Salvador/fan - as in fan club/clan. I love short words with that sound they are so fun to say! (sorry I can't really recreate the pronounciation... go take a portuguese class and find out!)
oxente - this is a great piece of Bahian slang, it's really just translated as like 'whoa!' or 'holy shit!' but it's funny because sometimes they don't say the whole word, they just say 'oxe-' which sounds like 'o-shee-' which kind of sounds like they're about to say 'oh shit!' and it had me confused for my first month or so. good word though! (pron. oh-SHEN-chee)
piriguete - slang for 'girl that kisses every one'. it comes from a song by the same name. (pron. pee-ree-gay-ch)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1x-y4-CFBI (video of the song - I think it is at least, the computer won't let me look at it)

Quando ela me vê, ela mexe When she sees me, she moves
Piri-pi-piri-piri-piriguete! Piri-pi-piri-piri-piriguete!
Rebola devegar She circles slowly
Depois desce And then goes down
Piri-pi-piri-piri-piriguete! Piri-pi-piri-piri-piriguete!

amendoim - peanut (pron. ah-men-dough-eem)
cabrito - goat (pron. ka-bree-two)

also my favorite Brazilian bands are:
Jammil (the one that sings 'Tchau I Have to Go Now')
Pitty (Brazilian rock)
Pato Fu (not really sure how to classify this... kind of light music)
Mallu Magalhães (she does a song called 'Back to Denmark')
Os Mutantes ('The Mutants' - Brazilian hard rock)
Vanguart (they may not be Brazilian I'm not sure)
Adão Negro (Brazilian reggae)
Banda Eva (just classic Salvador music)
Nando Reis (he kind of looks like my dad haha)
and Legião Urbana (fun to listen to when trying to learn more Portuguese)

2 comments:

Rob and Sara said...

What a fascinating, colorful, fun language. You definitely gotta share this stuff with next year's outbounds to Brazil!

I wish I could say all that stuff in ANY Indian language.... Sigh...

Sara

Alex C-P said...

Awesome wordage. It pains me that I only know a scattering of these words without their explanations. That, and I don't know Bahian slang.

Hope you're getting along better than well. And I'm looking forward to seeing you again this summer.

Alex