Monday, August 18, 2008

minha primeira dia de escola!

my first day of school went something like this:

I woke up at 5:30 in order to leave by 6:20. I got to school and everyone is all ´AN AMERICAN GIRL?? WHOA!!´

first class was English, which was confusingly short. it just sort of petered out and then we had like two hours of free time because the teacher had a ´circugia´ (surgery). Then the literature teacher came but didn´t teach, they practiced their play instead. Then we had a science class, all about sustainability, and then they all randomly burst out in song with drums and guitars and stuff. crazy Brazilians!

Then I was told that I was going to ´participate in theater´. I ended up having to say the line ´muito obrigada seu Paulo Roberto, muito obrigada Dona Joanna´...strange. I also had to read a paragraph in Portuguese but then I read a whole page in English and everyone was all confused.

I had a crab cake thing today, guarana, piña (a creamy weird fruit) and right now I´m eating corn and ´apina´ (a Brazilian potato thing).

there is more but I´m very tired. I also went to a rotary interact meeting, but I didn´t understand ANYTHING.

I´m trying! and Lara (my host sister) says I´m learning ´very quickly´ so that´s good!

pictures soon!

4 comments:

Nybelle said...

Sounds confusing. But I know you'll manage, Madisyn! You're very versatile. So don't worry.

Jyo Nah said...

It sounds confusing... but OH SO AMAZING!
T_T I envy you.

Rob and Sara said...

Hey there. Glad to hear you've arrived safe and sound (or, at least, safe :-)
You'll have the language thing licked in no time. I think your sister is right about you.
Keep on writing, so I can keep on reading... I'm enjoying my vicarious exchange year, at least so far!
Sara

rad-i-cal said...

hmm interesting..
were they speaking in Portuguese?
I'm confused now.. you're in salvador? >.<