Monday, August 25, 2008

engracados hushshsaushsa

my family went completely berserk when I told them I was vegetarian. they thought they had deeply offended me or something, and continue to ask me what my favorite food is so they can make it every day to make up for it.... they could not wrap their minds around the idea that I do not have a favorite food...

today I had água de coco (the inner liquid of a coconut, natural so it was drunk directly out of said coconut) and then the guy cut it open with this two foot long machete so I could eat the weird albino meat. very good actually.

I will edit this post later with more, but Lara wants me to help with her photo album. tchau!

EDIT:

we have been 'procurando para uma aula de capoeira' for a while now. (looking for a capoeira class), but hopefully we will find one. Lara tied this ribbon around my wrist and told me to make a wish for every knot she tied. superstitious, and everyone has one.

I am now well into my second week of school (though I cannot remember if it is tercera or cuarta - wednesday or thursday). I have been having a lot of crystallizing moments to say it poetically, mostly because I keep falling asleep in class and then waking up with a jolt thinking 'where AM I?'

I am still not completely accustomed to the schedule here. I often want to stay up late but if I stay up later than 10 I will be completely out during school. We have to wake up at 5:30 in order to get to school on time. Also it should be noted that I would not be surprised if I was killed by a crazy Brazilian driver. On the first day of driving Paulo (my host father) completely ignored that a bus' turn signal indicated that it was going to turn RIGHT INTO US if he didn't slow down. We ended up coming to a screeching halt and exchanging angry horn blares. craaazy.

brazilian drivers definitely do go faster around curves if they can. they just don't care.

Lara is really sad right now about leaving, and everyone keeps teasing me because I told them I only cried when I said goodbye to Jade. they also think I am some sort of weird alien because they are always cold and I never feel it.

right now I am in the biblioteca (library) while the rest of my class takes a física (physics) test, and apparently I am exempt from all forms of school-related responsibility as of yet. we have been watching a movie in english in my geografia class, called the Corporation. good movie actually.

also they had a map of the USA with all the states different colors for their political standings, Obama or McCain or undecided, and I counted the delegates up and Obama has 251, McCain has 151 and undecided in about 100. scaaaary. also my history teacher is apparently a communist and hates everyone (according to my classmates)

anyway if you are there and you read this you should comment so I know who I am writing this too.
- até logo
-----m

5 comments:

Jyo Nah said...

*laughs*

so are you going to go back to being vegetarian? You made all that effort to get yourself ready for eating meat and then they seem to be ready to put you back eh. *sideways grin*

Doop doop doop.

I met your replacement yesterday.
Turns out he is Catholic, and wanted to go to a catholic church, so we took him to church with us.

It was sufficiently... quiet. There isn't a lot of time to talk during Mass in the first place, and then after the silence it was a doozy figuring out what to say.

Eh.

Saw your mom's hair cut too. It was surprising.

rad-i-cal said...

wow.. thats interesting.. lots of stuff to rap ones head around I suppose..

what time is your school again anyway?! you gotta wake up SO early :O

Anastasia Thorne said...

i'm here! sounds like you've been having the greatest time and yay that you can stay veggie :D

Jyo Nah said...

Well, I've been commenting on a rather regular basis... so I'm sure you know I'm here. :P

I'd have tried to take teh test anyway, just to see how up to snuff I am with the class that's been going on without me. :P

By the way, being as you're trying to hold people to commenting... are you ever going to respond to comments, or should I stop including questions in mine, and just make it a one-sided-my-opinions-on-the-blog-post-and-done?

:P

P.S. I still envy you.

Suzi Steffen said...

Madisyn! I'm reading you. You're doing so freakin' well! No wonder you're sleepy, as your brain processes the heck out of the language and tries REALLY HARD all of the time. I'm cheering you on from here,
Suzi